London, UK, 9th August 2012: Astonishing speed and clever, never-before-seen photography features helped Nikon’s first compact system camera become the biggest selling model in its category across Europe¹. Now, the intelligent new Nikon 1 J2 introduces even more creative options and stylish accessories to stay one click ahead.
Designed to think fast and act even faster, this simple-to-use and stylish camera has all that is needed to capture stunning photos and movies in an ultra-portable body. Staying true to the Nikon 1 concept of a small system camera that is as easy to hold as it is to operate, the Nikon 1 J2 is being launched alongside the new 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, a super-slim compact 2.5x zoom lens with a range that covers most day-to-day situations but still slips easily into a pocket. Meanwhile, next generation accessories like the WP-N1 waterproof case let you take the camera to new underwater frontiers.
Simon Iddon, Product Manager for Nikon 1 at Nikon UK says: “We’re delighted with the success of the Nikon 1 and are very proud of this latest iteration. The new model combines the super high-speed performance, image quality and system size that the Nikon 1 series is known for.
He adds: “Keen photographers will enjoy using the Motion Snapshot and Smart Photo Selector features to explore new ways of taking and sharing images. We’ve also added new intuitive features, like Creative Mode, that are sure to appeal to compact camera upgraders and D-SLR users looking for something more portable with artistic potential. Plus, new colour options will satisfy the tastes of the whole family.”
¹GFK: NIKON1 J1 Best-selling compact system camera in Europe 2012 YTD
Launching alongside the Nikon 1 J2, the WP-N1 waterproof case lets serious hobby divers take their Nikon 1 J1 or Nikon 1 J2 underwater to achieve quality images at new depths. It is compatible with the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Capable of going 40m below surface, the high gloss white WP-N1 ensures you can use all functions of the camera, just as you would on dry land.
Also added to the Nikon 1 system range is a super-slim 2.5x zoom lens, the 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6. The 11–27.5mm focal range easily covers most day-to-day situations, while the compact design makes it easy to keep the lens attached to your camera and still slip it into your pocket or bag. When that photo- or movie-moment comes along, you can be ready in an instant. Just rotate the lens to switch your camera on and retract it to switch the camera off. The 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 is available to purchase in black or white.
There’s no limit to the creative fun you can have with photography, thanks to the Nikon1 J2’s new Creative Mode. A dedicated function button gives easy access to a range of photography modes, filters and shooting settings that can be applied directly to your preview, meaning you can see how an effect will look before you shoot. Enhance the mood with Soft Filter, capture sweeping views in Easy Panorama and enjoy a world that’s always perfectly lit with Night Portrait mode.
Motion Snapshot offers an innovative concept in picture taking. It captures fleeting moments and plays them back in a way that makes your picture seem alive. It simultaneously records a slow motion movie and a still image, then instantly combines the two to deliver an evocative moving photo, capturing the story of a moment as never before. For the first time, you can record a snapshot of time, whether it is waves lapping at the shore, your best friend’s smile, or a child blowing out the candles on their birthday cake.
Another innovative feature powered by the camera’s impressive speed is Smart Photo Selector which helps you to take the best possible full resolution picture. How many times have you tried to take an action shot, like your dog catching a ball or your child playing on the swing, only to miss the essential moment, because you took your shot a fraction too soon or too late? The Nikon 1 J2 does the thinking for you. Press the shutter button once and the camera records 20 high resolution images at high speed and automatically selects the five best shots based on facial expressions, composition and focus. It then displays the best image on the high-resolution LCD screen. If you are not happy with the shot, the camera will suggest other images to choose from, meaning you’ll never take a bad picture again.
For those who want to take even more creative control, Creative Mode also gives easy access to PSAM settings.
Attention to detail gives the Nikon 1 J2 a real sense of style. Available in a range of colours that complement the minimal design, select models boast brushed metal and textured finishes. Feeling bolder than black? More vibrant than white? You can now choose from 6 different colours, including silver, red, pink, and orange, and have a camera that is the envy of every photographer around.
Thanks to the Nikon 1 J2’s crystal-clear bright LCD screen, you can be sure that once you have taken pictures to be proud of, you can review and share them in the best possible quality. With a wide-viewing angle and protective glass, the 921k-dot, 7.5cm (3-in.) high-resolution monitor lets you see every detail of your photos and movies – whether you are indoors or out.
Life’s at its best when you live it in the moment. Make sure you have the camera that is speedy enough, clever enough, and creative enough to capture the fun in your world without missing a beat.
- Powerful EXPEED 3 image processor: delivers unparalleled levels of speed and performance in any situation. Equipped with two powerful engines that can process images at an incredible 600 megapixels per second. Offers superior noise reduction and enables the camera’s groundbreaking shooting modes.
- Advanced hybrid AF (autofocus) system: focuses so fast you can capture moments without delay. Instantly switches between Phase-Detection AF for shiny or moving subjects, and Contrast Detect AF if your subject is stationary, or poorly lit.
- Super high-speed AF CMOS image sensor: delivers the performance you need for stunning photos and movies. Offers the ideal balance between system size, speed, light sensitivity, resolution, and depth-of-field. Enables detailed 10.1-megapixel images of even fast-moving subjects in any light.
- Fast and accurate continuous shot: make full use of the camera’s autofocus system to capture full-resolution images of even fast-moving subjects at up to 10 frames per second. Or focus on one spot and use the camera’s phenomenal processing speed to capture full-resolution images at up to 60 fps².
- Advanced movie recording: lets you take a full-resolution photo while filming, without interrupting recording, and you can film in extreme slow motion for dramatic effect. Movies can be recorded in Full HD and the Phase-Detection autofocus system makes it easy to capture great action scenes.
- Intuitive operation: clear menus, a bright LCD screen, an easy-to-reach mode dial, and a built-in flash.
- Expandable system: the family of 1 NIKKOR interchangeable lenses cover practically every type of scene, are all optimized for movie recording, and boast a compact design for superior portability.
- F-mount adapter: attaches to the camera’s 1-mount to let you use a NIKKOR SLR lens. Trying out different lenses is a great way to experiment with how you shoot a scene, and if you use AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses, you can still make full use of the incredible Nikon 1 autofocus system.
²For full-size images, you can shoot at approx. 60 fps for up to 12 frames, with focus mode set at AF-S; focus and exposure for the first frame is fixed.